Brazil

Brazil is home to over 500,000 individual farms.  Major crops grown in Brazil include the following:

  • Coffee
  • Sugarcane
  • Soybeans
  • Cocoa
  • Corn
  • Rice
  • Tobacco
  • Cotton
  • Bananas
  • Citrus Fruits

 Coffee


Coffee is a major cash crop in Brasil which grows over 2.5 tons for both domestic consumption and export.  In all nearly a third of all the coffee in the world is produced in Brasil.  Robusto beans are grown in the warmer more humid climate closer to the equator in the Northeastern provinces while the balance is cultivated in the more temperate Southwestern corner of the country.

Soybeans

Brazil is the second largest grower of soybeans in the world behind only the United States.  Most of Brazil’s sizeable output is used as animal feed to support the domestic and overseas beef markets..

Sugarcane

Brazil is the most successful grower, and most prolific exporter of sugarcane in the world.  Sugarcane is used as food for both humans and animals, exported to countries throughout the world, and importantly used as a feed-stock for the production of Brazil’s strategically important ethanol fuel.

Tobacco

Brazil is the second largest exporter of tobacco behind only the United States.  Brazil is a net exporter of tobacco plants both raw leaves, and processed into products.

Corn

Corn, along with rice, is the most popular grain crop grown in Brazil.  Due to the climate of Brasil, large sections of the country are able to double crop corn and get two different corn crops per year. In Northeastern Brasil the first crop is planted on December through January and harvested in the June-July timeframe.

The first corn crop accounts for approximately 70% of annual production with the second crop making up the remaining 30 percent of annual production.

Cocoa

Cocoa is a major crop grown for domestic consumption and export throughout Brazil.  Cocoa’s importance as a cash crop to the Brazilian farmer is probably second only to the importance of coffee and sugarcane.

To read more about the crops grown in Brazil click here.